Brain Cancer

Treatment From Your Local Palmer Oncologists

Cancer in the brain can have extremely long-lasting and life-changing effects on anyone diagnosed. Due to the major part the brain plays in physical, cognitive, and psychological impacts, even a benign tumor can impact your life. There are more than 120 different types of brain tumors, many with their own large groups of subtypes. At Mat-Su Valley Comprehensive Cancer Center, our oncologists will use the right treatment option to combat whatever form of cancer you are diagnosed with while minimizing harm to the surrounding parts of your brain. Some of our process, such as TrueBeam, are non-invasive and do not require that your head be bolted into a head frame to limit movement, keeping you as comfortable as can be during treatment.

Brain Cancer Signs & Symptoms

A brain tumor forms when abnormal cells in the brain grow rapidly. There are 688,096 people reportedly living with a brain tumor today. Almost 80% of them are benign (non-cancerous) the other 20% are malignant. The average survival rate for all malignant brain tumor patients is 34.4%, so early detection is very important. Brain cancer symptoms can vary based on their location in the brain and the type of tumor. Some of the most common symptoms of brain cancer include:

  • Headaches
  • Issues with vision
  • Seizures/convulsions
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Personality changes
  • Depression
  • Difficulty speaking

Brain Cancer Diagnosis

Always seek medical care immediately if you think that you or someone you love might have brain cancer so that they can be examined and diagnosed. Our center has an advanced imaging center next door, giving us a direct connection to fast and efficient image and treatment plan compilation done quickly. Some of the tests that may be conducted to determine if you have brain cancer include:

  • CT Scan – A machine that uses X-rays and a computer to create detailed images of the brain.
  • MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) – Magnetic field of radio waves are used to create detailed images of the brain.
  • PET Scan – PET scans use a radioactive substance to examine how organs are functioning.
  • Biopsy – If your doctor suspects from imaging reports that you have a tumor, he or she may order a biopsy. During a biopsy, sample tissue is collected from the cell mass and then tested to determine if it is benign or malignant.

TrueBeam Brain Cancer Treatment

If you are diagnosed with brain cancer, call our expert Mat-Su Valley and Palmer oncologists and investigate all of your options. Working with you, our board-certified specialists will develop a customized treatment plan that is right for you. One of our most advanced treatments for dealing with many forms of brain cancer is utilizing TrueBeam’s non-invasive radiation therapy. The TrueBeam system will target your tumor with precise accuracy, and the treatment is pain-free and designed to minimize any side effects.

Once you and your team have chosen TrueBeam as the best option to combat your brain tumor, the treatment process steps include:

  1. A CT Simulation (or MRI or PET scan, in some cases) to determine the location, size, and shape of tumor, during which you will be fitted with a flexible mesh mask. The comfortable mask is used to help stabilize your head and neck and will be stored for use with all treatments.
  2. The data from your scan will be uploaded into the TrueBeam system and your medical team of doctors and dosimetrists will decide the exact location and amount of radiation to beam within areas of the brain.
  3. You will return to Mat-Su Valley Comprehensive Cancer Center for your treatment. You can dress comfortably, bring music, and expect no pain as you lie on the comfortable treatment couch for 3 to 5 minutes. The TrueBeam system will rotate around you, beaming different doses of radiation into your tumor at a variety of levels, tracking your tumor and limiting exposure to surrounding parts of your brain.
  4. After your treatment, most patients can return home and continue with their normal routine without interruption. You will be asked to attend follow-up appointments and additional scans may be used to help verify the success of your TrueBeam radiation treatment.

Use these links to find out more about brain cancer:

Give Us A Call To Discuss Your Treatment Options

Your Palmer oncologists are always available to answer any questions and discuss the details of your brain cancer treatment. Contact us at 907-707-1333 and make your appointment today. You will want to know about TrueBeam’s precise radiation treatment at Mat-Su Valley Comprehensive Cancer Center as an option for your brain tumor. Let our advanced procedures and experienced doctors give you the best hope in your fight against cancer.